While visiting my daughter in Germany, we were given a basketful of fresh red currants, a sweet-tart berry, and tried this recipe on a whim. It was wonderful! The currants kept their fresh flavor and the pie/cake was a perfect base. Back home, I'm going to try the same recipe with fresh strawberries, then fresh blueberries, then fresh raspberries...
- For Crust: In a medium bowl, sift together flour and baking powder.
- Mix in butter, sugar, egg yolks and lemon zest until mixture forms dough.
- Pat the dough evenly into the bottom of a 9" springform pan.
- Chill dough in pan for 25-30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Bake in oven for 25 minutes, or until golden.
- For Filling: In a medium bowl, beat egg whites until stiff.
- Gradually stir in sugar and cornstarch; beat for 5 minutes.
- Fold currants into mixture and pour into warm crust.
- Bake in oven for 10 minutes, or until top is lightly browned.
- Cool completely before serving.
deeeeeeeeeeeelicious!! just the right balance of tart and sweet. this one is definitely a keeper!
This is very yummy and colorful. I used frozen which I thawed and it added a link pink hue to the meringue. Also didn't have lemon so used zest from pink grapefruit. Mmm mmm good! Thanks
This was great! The bottom is like a cookie with a meringe topping. The berries are cooked just enough so that they kind of pop in your mouth when you take a bite. The only change I made was I used black currants and blueberries.