1 hr 25 mins
I attended a whole wheat bread making class at our extension office and this was the recipe that was prepared. I made it the very next day, turned out light, soft and wonderful! Just a note: this recipe uses "instant" yeast. Instant yeast is a quick rising yeast and does not need two risings to make excellent bread. I use SAF brand.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Add ingredients in the order listed to bread mixing bowl.
- 2Using a dough hook, mix well and add more flour if needed so that the dough cleans the sides of the bowl (dough should be slightly tacky.
- 3Knead for 10 minutes.
- 4Shape into 2 to 3 loaves depending on the size of your pans. Add dough to sprayed pans.
- 5Cover with tented plastic or cloth and let rise for about 1 hour.
- 6Preheat oven to 400 for the last half hour of rising. It is ready to go in the oven when the dough is doubled in bulk.
- 7Turn oven down to 350 and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- 8Take out of pans and let cool on wire rack.
- 9Brush tops with melted butter to keep crusts soft.
- 10additional ingredients may be added:.
- 12decrease water by 1/4 cup and add two beaten eggs. Eggs add flavor, liquid, color, structure, nutrients and tenderness to breads.
- 13Cracked wheat:.
- 14Add 1/2 cup uncooked cracked wheat for each 4 cups of flour. If using uncooked cracked wheat the bread will be somewhat crunchy. cooking the cracked wheat first will add a variety of texture without the crunch feel. Many people like to put oatlems or other cooked cereals into their bread. As a guidelin, use 1/2 cup or less per 4 cups of flour.
- 16They add a sweet, rich flavor to breads. Add 1/2 cup to 4 cups flour and reduce water by 1/4 cup.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Quick Rise Whole Wheat Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1728 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1812.1
- Calories from Fat 318
- Total Fat 35.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3521.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 342.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 52.6 g
- Sugars 36.6 g
- Protein 59.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vital wheat gluten