1/1 Photo of Queen Elizabeth Cake
1 hr 5 mins
From Ricardo's magazine. Had this cake before and it is delicious!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pitted dates
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 3/4 cups flour, sifted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 350°F Line the bottom of a 9-inch square baking dish with parchment paper. Butter and flour the sides.
- 3In a saucepan, bring the water, dates and baking soda to a boil. Simmer for about 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Transfer to a bowl and let cool.
- 4In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- 5In another bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar using an electric mixer. Add the eggs one at a time, beating until the mixture becomes smooth and creamy. With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients, alternating with the date mixture. Pour into the pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from the oven. If desired, place the pan on a baking sheet to catch any icing that might spill over. Set the oven to broil.
- 7In a saucepan, bring all ingredients to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for about 2 minutes.
- 8Spread the icing on the hot cake and broil until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Queen Elizabeth Cake
Serving Size: 1 (140 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 511.1
- Calories from Fat 237
- Total Fat 26.3 g
- Saturated Fat 18.0 g
- Cholesterol 86.9 mg
- Sodium 148.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 50.0 g
- Protein 4.4 g