Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
An alternative to pumpkin pie.
Make and share this Pumpkin Gooey Chess Squares recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 350°; position oven rack in the middle of oven; spray the bottom only of a 13x9 inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Melt ½ cup butter in a saucepan over low heat.
- In a bowl, beat the cake mix, melted butter, and 1 egg with an electric mixer set on medium speed until well blended (mixture will come together as a thick dough).
- Pat the dough evenly into prepared pan; set aside.
- Melt the remaining stick of butter in a small saucepan over low heat.
- In a bowl, beat the softened cream cheese and canned pumpkin with an electric mixer on medium speed until blended and smooth, scraping down the sides of bowl when needed.
- Add in the melted butter, remaining 3 eggs, and vanilla extract; blend until smooth.
- Add in the powdered sugar and pumpkin pie spice; blend until smooth.
- Spread pumpkin mixture over prepared crust; bake 42-45 minutes (do not overbake; bars should be slightly gooey).
- Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
- Cut into bars/squares; cover and store in refrigerator.