This recipe has been in my files for over 25 years. I enjoy the caramel sauce over ice cream on top of a warm slice of the ginger cake!
FOR THE CAKE
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2⁄3 cup unsalted butter or 2⁄3 cup margarine
- 3⁄4 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup light molasses
- 3⁄4 cup mashed cooked pumpkin
- 1 egg
FOR THE CARAMEL SAUCE
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 1⁄4 cups brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- For the cake, in large bowl combine flour & sugar, then cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Stir in pecans.
- Measure out 1 1/4 cups of crumb mixture, & press it evenly into the bottom of ungreased 9"x9" baking dish.
- To the remaining crumb mixture, add last 9 cake ingredients, & mix well.
- Pour evenly into crumb-lined baking dish, & bake 40-50 minutes or until toothpick in the middle comes out clean.
- For the caramel sauce, in medium saucepan, melt butter, then stir in sugar & syrup.
- Bring to boil, cooking & stirring constantly about 1 minute, or until sugar dissolves.
- Stir in whipping cream, & bring to boil again.
- Remove from heat, & let cool.
- Serve over warm ginger cake.