Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
My mom was using this recipe over 55 years ago, & the only thing I've changed from her original set of ingredients is the addition of dried cranberries! I've eaten a lot of loaves of this bread, both with & without the crans!
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Stir together the sugar, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, salt, baking powder, baking soda, eggs, oil, water & pumpkin, mixing well.
- Add the flour, two cups at a time, mixing well.
- If using cranberries, add them, & mix well.
- Pour the batter into two 9" loaf pans, dividing evenly.
- Put in the oven, & bake for 1 hour & 45 minutes, or until a toothpick in the center tests clean.
- Cool on a wire rack 10 minutes before removing loaves from the pans.
- Cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
This recipe makes a SUPER TASTY pumpkin bread! It has a great pumpkin and spice flavour, which reminded me of winter holidays. The texture is soft inside with a crunchy top. Mmmm, absolutely yummy! I made only half the recipe and used muffin tins as I was a little short on time and that way the baking time was only 20 minutes. Also I left out the cranberries (Ill add them in next time, though as Im sure theyll add a nice flavour) and reduced the sugar by half, which was still plenty for me. THANKS SO MUCH for sharing another wonderful recipe with us, Syd! It will surely be made again not only during holiday season. Made and reviewed for Edn#8: Make My Recipe Tag Game August 09.
Mom knew her bread. It is very sweet, but with the addition of the cranberries, there was a great sweet and tart balance. I did add a little more cinnamon and nutmeg. I will make again, but likely use less sugar. Made and Reviewed for Zaar Stars tag - Thanks! :)
Really good pumpkin bread. I only baked for about 1 hour and 30 minutes, and I could have taken it out even earlier. I didn't add the dried cranberries, but think they would be a good addition (or maybe chocolate chips). I didn't find this overly sweet as other reviewers.