1/2 Photos of Pumpernickel Bread
3 hrs 30 mins
May M's Note:
A sandwich is all about the bread! One of my favorites is pastrami with brown mustard and sprouts on this pumpernickel. Please note: While not traditional, I find that potato flakes make most breads softer, chewier and less crumbly. Also, rye flour makes dough sticky, so be careful not to add more flour than the recipe states.
My Private Note
1.5 lb ...
Units: US | Metric
- 9 ounces warm water (80 deg)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grapeseed oil or 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/3 cup molasses (mild)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 1 1/2 cups bread flour (1.5 cups weigh 6.75 oz)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (1 cup weighs 4.5 oz)
- 1 cup rye flour (1 cup weighs 4.5 oz)
- 1 tablespoon vital wheat gluten
- 1/4 cup instant potato flakes
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1Place all ingredients in the bread machine pan in the order the manufacturer requires. Select Basic cycle, Light crust –OR- do the following.
- 2Select Basic cycle and leave dough in the machine through the FIRST RISE.
- 3When it's time for the SECOND RISE, turn off the machine, pull out the dough, and roll tightly into a loaf, making sure to pinch the seams closed. Place in a greased 9x5 loaf pan seam side down and spray dough with cooking spray. Let rise in a warm place for one hour or more (rising times will vary). When dough has doubled to at least one inch above the pan’s rim, you have the option of applying an egg wash for a shiny finish. Beat an egg and use a pastry brush to apply a thin film on top of loaf.
- 4Preheat the oven to 350 deg. F. and then bake loaf for 25-30 minutes, or until thermometer inserted in side of loaf registers at least 195 deg. F.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pumpernickel Bread
Serving Size: 1 (847 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2068.0
- Calories from Fat 261
- Total Fat 29.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3569.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 416.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 42.4 g
- Sugars 65.0 g
- Protein 53.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vital wheat gluten