Cook1 hr 20 mins
This pound cake is lighter and slightly sweeter than the traditional pound cake. This recipe makes a flavorful, moist cake-- wins all votes for flavor, texture, appearance, and general delectability. (Recipe from The Perfect Cake by Susan Purdy) **Can be wrapped airtight and stored at room temp. for a week, or refrigerated for several weeks**
- Preheat oven to 325* (F).
- Spread solid shortening on bottom and sides of 9x5x3 inch loaf pan, or 9-inch tube pan.
- Dust evenly with flour; tap out excess.
- Set prepared pan aside.
- Sift together flour, salt, and baking powder.
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter until soft and fluffy.
- Gradually add sugar and beat until very light and creamy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in vanilla.
- By hand or on low speed, gradually stir in flour mixture-- blend well.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for 1 hour and 15-20 minutes for loaf pan (40-45 mins. for tube pan), or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in its pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes.
- Slide a knife around the edges to loosen the cake from pan.
- Remove cake from pan, flip up-right, and cool completely on wire rack.