My sis and me came up with this cake recipe when asked by a friend to bring something to her birthday party. It is very moist with a lovely cherry poppy seed flavour and a sweet crunch from the crumble topping. This makes one big cake (about 20 slices) and you can sub whatever fruit you like for the cherries. I think mandarin oranges would be great as well.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F). If using tinned cherries, drain thoroughly.
- In a big bowl combine flour, baking powder, sugar, vanilla and poppy seeds. Using a spoon mix in applesauce, oil and cherry juice.
- Pour dough onto a paper-lined baking sheet and spread cherries on top of it.
- Combine the ingredients for the crumb topping and work into crumbs. Spread on top of cake.
- Bake for 30 minutes unitl lightly browned and toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean (check slightly before end of baking time and cover cake if it gets too dark).
- This is great served slightly dusted with icing-sugar, some whipped cream or some vanilla ice-cream.