1/1 Photo of Pineapple Upside Down Cake
There are many recipes on 'Zaar for this cake, but I came up with this recipe after reading many others and lots of trial and error. It's a big favorite with my sister, so I'm posting it here for safekeeping. Note that this makes a 6" cake. I like to use my cast iron skillet because I believe it results in a very flavorful cake. This recipe can be made fully by hand, no mixer required.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (1oz)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (not packed)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple slices
- 11 pecan halves
- 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter (room temp)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon poppy seed, lightly toasted (blue poppy not white)
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice (from the can of slices)
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon dark rum
- 1Over medium heat, melt the butter in the skillet and add the brown sugar and cinnamon.
- 2Stir until sugar begins to melt.
- 3Arrange pineapple slices and pecan halves as seen in the picture.
- 4In case you're not using a cast iron skillet, after you add the brown sugar and it melts, pour that mixture into the cake pan you're going to use, then arrange the pineapple and pecans.
- 5You can also replace the pecans with red or green maraschino cherries.
- 6For the cake -
- 7In a medium mixing bowl, combine sifted flour, sifted baking powder, salt and coconut flakes.
- 8In a small mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. This takes a little time so be patient.
- 9Add vanilla to butter sugar mixture. Beat.
- 10Then add the egg, beat well.
- 11Add poppy seeds, mix.
- 12In another small bowl combine buttermilk, pineapple juice and rum. You can double the quantity of rum if you prefer a stronger taste.
- 13FOLD the wet ingredients into the dry alternating between additions of the butter-sugar-egg mixture and the buttermilk-juice-rum mixture.
- 14Stir until just combined. Take care not to overmix.
- 15Pour the cake batter over the prepared topping.
- 16Bake at 350 for about 35 min or till it tests done.
- 17As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, invert a plate over the skillet and flip it.
- 18Be careful to avoid splashing any of the melted sugar around, it's extremely hot.
- 19I also like to put a piece of parchment paper on my plate before flipping the cake.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Serving Size: 1 (102 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 257.8
- Calories from Fat 105
- Total Fat 11.6 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 45.8 mg
- Sodium 227.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 25.6 g
- Protein 2.9 g