From Southern Living. Served at many southern barbecues or pig pickins.
Make and share this Pig Pickin' Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 (12 ounce) container Cool Whip, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- chopped pecans
- Beat the first 4 ingredients together in a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer at medium speed until blended.
- Stir in oranges.
- Pour batter into 3 greased and floured 8-inch cake pans (layers will be thin).
- Bake in a 350° oven for 25-30 minutes or until a pick comes out clean.
- Cool layers in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes; remove layers from pans and cool completely on wire racks.
- In a large bowl, stir together the crushed pineapple and next 3 ingredients; spread pineapple mixture evenly between layers and on top of cake.
- Chill cake 3-4 hours.
- Garnish with chopped pecans, if desired.
- Store cake in the refrigerator.