The story behind the cookie. This is an old family recipe for me, but I have no idea why they were called bars...no one's ever been able to explain that part to me. My aunt, Phyllis, started making them long before I was born. The original recipe called for "Three knives of peanut butter" I've melted it down a couple of times and had about a half a cup, so, there you go. My Mom likes to mix in coconut, but I find that dries them out. Everyone I've ever made them for asks for them over and over, they seem to be addictive. (; Cook time is cooling time.
- EXCEPT for the oats, mix all ingredients in medium size sauce pan.
- Slowly kick up the heat (over four minutes) and bring to rapid boil.
- Immidately remove from heat, and stir in oats.
- Let cool till mixture will hold its shape and not drip from the spoon. Spoon on to wax paper.
- Let cool for about 20 minutes or until they've firmed up. (They never survive that long in my house though.).