1/1 Photo of Peppermint Brownies
These are fantastic. Fine Cooking #52. IHHDRO
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 ounces unsalted butter (2 1/2 sticks, more for greasing the pan)
- 10 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 2 teaspoons peppermint tea leaves (from about 2 tea bags)
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 1/2 ounces all-purpose flour (1 cup)
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate or 2 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 ounces white chocolate
- 1Center a rack in the oven and heat the oven to 350°F.
- 2Butter the bottom and sides of a 9x13-inch baking pan, line it with parchment (the paper should extend at least an inch above the long sides to act as handles for getting the brownies out), and butter the paper.
- 3Put about 2 inches of water in a small pot and heat to a gentle simmer.
- 4In a heatproof bowl set over the water, melt 8 ounces of the butter and 8 ounces of the unsweetened chocolate.
- 5Be sure that the water is hot but not boiling and that it doesn’t touch the bottom of the bowl.
- 6Stir occasionally with a heatproof spatula until the mixture is completely melted and uniform, 6 to 7 minutes.
- 7Turn off the heat, but leave the bowl over the water.
- 8In a food processor, finely grind the peppermint leaves with the sugar.
- 9In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, peppermint extract, salt, and peppermint sugar until just combined.
- 10Whisk in the melted chocolate mixture (reserve the pot of water for later).
- 11Slowly add the flour, gently folding it in with a spatula, until incorporated.
- 12Spread the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a pick inserted into the center comes out almost clean (a few bits of batter should cling to the pick), 35 to 40 minutes.
- 13Put the pan on a rack to cool to room temperature, about 2 hours.
- 14Lift the paper lining to pull the brownies out of the pan.
- 15Peel the paper off the brownies and put them on a cutting board.
- 16To make the glaze, bring the pot of water back to a gentle simmer.
- 17Set a heatproof bowl over the pot and add the semisweet chocolate, corn syrup, and the remaining 2 ounces each butter and unsweetened chocolate.
- 18Stir frequently with a heatproof spatula until the mixture is melted and smooth; set aside.
- 19Put the white chocolate in a separate heatproof bowl and set it over the water.
- 20Stir frequently until it’s melted and smooth; remove it from the heat.
- 21Spread the chocolate glaze over the cooled brownies in an even layer using a spatula.
- 22Drizzle the white chocolate over the glaze in lines.
- 23Use a toothpick or a wooden skewer to drag the white chocolate into the glaze (as shown in the photo at left).
- 24Lift the cutting board and firmly tap it on the counter to settle the glaze.
- 25Refrigerate until the glaze is set, at least 20 minutes and up to 12 hours.
- 26Cut into thirty bars, about 2 inches square (a knife rinsed in hot water and then dried will cut more cleanly than a cold knife).
- 27Keep well covered and serve at room temperature.
- 28These brownies only get better after a couple of days, as their texture gets fudgier and their flavor richer.
- 29Yields about 30 brownies.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Peppermint Brownies
Serving Size: 1 (1465 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 206.9
- Calories from Fat 125
- Total Fat 13.8 g
- Saturated Fat 8.4 g
- Cholesterol 45.5 mg
- Sodium 35.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 14.9 g
- Protein 2.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: