I have been making this pie for years, daughter #2 loves it. We prefer ripe bartletts in this. The custard-y filling is not too sweet. The most time consuming step is the peeling of the pears!
- Combine the sour cream, egg, 1/2 c sugar, 2 T flour, and vanilla in a medium sized bowl.
- Fold in the peeled and sliced pears.
- Scrape into the pie shell and place in a 375 degree oven for about 40 minutes.
- While the pie bakes, make the crumble; mix together the flour,sugar and cinnamon, cut in the butter to the size of petite peas.
- After the pie has baked for about 40 minutes, pull it from the oven and sprinkle the crumble topping on. Put pie back into the oven for about 20 minutes longer.
- Keep this pie refrigerated, if there are any leftovers.
Great tasting pie. It has just the right amount of sweetness. Thanks for posting.
Great pie! I had no idea you could make a pie with pears. Even though my pears were very ripe the finished pie looks just like TasterTester's pic's. A big thank you for posting the pic's ( made me decide to try the recipe). Thanks for sharing this true keeper!
This is the best pie I've had in years. It's the first time anyone in our family had a pear pie, and what a taste treat. The pear slices didn't get mushy as some fruits can when cooked in a pie. And we loved the custard filling. I'm not a fan of baked goods that are overly sweet, so this worked perfectly. The custard and the filling really complemented each other, and I wouldn't change a thing about this recipe. I can't wait to make another one for our family and few more to bring to my oldest children who have grown up and moved out. Thanks for posting this!!