A twist on the upside-down cake tradition! The first cake I ever made and entered at the fair, years ago as a 4Her! Of course I got a blue ribbon! Still making it today 40 years later only simplified these days.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Melt butter in a 13x9 pan.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar, evenly.
- Drain peaches and reserve syrup.
- Arrange slices in the sugar.
- If desired arrange cherries round side down in the sugar.
- Add enough water to syrup to make 1 1/3 cup liquid.
- Add this and the eggs to the cake mix and mix as directed.
- Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes until toothpick comes clean.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
- Turn upside-down on a large platter or cookie sheet with sides.
- Remove pan and serve warm topped with whipped cream.
Delicious, We love peach upside down cake. This was every easy to make. I did cut the recipe in half as there is only 2 of us. I was hoping to get a chance to make the whole recipe. I just measured the cake mix(4cups)& used half (2 Cups) worked great. Served it with vanilla ice cream,Yum Yum. Thank you for sharing this recipe Laurie.
I was going to post an almost identical recipe tonight. Instead I will post the slight differences which might help someone else making this. I sprayed the sides of my 13 x 9 pan with Pam before melting the butter in the bottom. I also followed the directions on the cake mix in making the batter instead of the way it was given here. I then baked it for 43 minutes at the same temperature. **NOTE be sure to let the pan rest for 5 minutes before inverting. Mine came out perfectly. It is a very good and easy recipe.
A very nice tasting dessert. Subbed apricot halves for the peaches. Otherwise, followed the recipe exactly. Had a problem with the brown sugar candying on the bottom of the pan which made neatly turning the cake over impossible and compromised the presentation. The baking time seems a little long. Our cake would have been happier at 35-40 minutes.