Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is good enough that I make it year round. I can't remember where I originally got it, but it's been a staple in my cookbook for years.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees and adjust oven rack 1/3 up from bottom of oven.
- Grease a 10" bundt pan and sprinkle with granulated sugar, coating completely.
- Combine chocolate, butter or margarine and oil in the top of a double boiler over moderate heat.
- Cover and cook until almost completely melted.
- Whisk until completely melted and smooth.
- Remove from heat.
- Whisk the egg yolks gently.
- In a few additions, whisk 1/2 of the hot chocolate mixture into the yolks.
- Then add the yolks to the rest of the chocolate and mix.
- Add the sugar and vanilla and stir.
- Add salt to the egg whites, and beat until soft peaks form.
- Fold a dollop of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture to lighten.
- Then fold the chocolate into the rest of the egg whites until just combined.
- Pour into greased and sugared bundt pan.
- Bake at 300 degrees for about 1 hour, until done.
- Invert on to rach to cool.
- When cool, top with confectioners sugar if desired.
Both my husband and mother of my soon to be daught in-law are diabetic...So,I substituted baker's chocolate (no-sugar) and sweetened to taste with Splenda...It was a hit all around the table!
I think it's tasty, but it's also very dry. If I make it again, I'll add some liquor or strong coffee.