An Australian tradition. Actually I don't know where it comes but it's served in every school tuckshop (canteen) and bakery in the land. This is always popular and is my husbands favourite.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 sheets prepared puff pastry
- 1Preheat oven to 210°C.
- 2Line 2 oven trays with baking paper and place one pastry sheet on each tray.
- 3Prick the pastry all over with a fork and bake for 10 to 15 minutes.
- 5Make the custard by mixing the custard powder, sugar and cream in a heavy saucepan.
- 6Gradually add the milk, stirring all the time on a medium heat until the custard boils and thickens.
- 7Remove from the heat and stir in the essence.
- 8Put a bit of baking paper or cling wrap on the surface so it doesn't get a skin and cool completely.
- 9Make the icing by combining the passionfruit, butter and icing sugar in a heatproof bowl.
- 10Stand over a pan of simmering water and stir until the icing is smooth and remove it from the heat.
- 11Place one sheet of pastry into a baking tin of the same size.
- 12You can cut the pastry to fit if needed.
- 13Spread evenly with the custard.
- 14Turn the other pastry sheet upside down and place on top of custard.
- 15Spread the icing evenly over the top.
- 16Refrigerate for several hours.
- 17The pastry will soften slightly and the custard should be firm.
- 18Cut into squares to serve using a serrated knife.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Passionfruit Vanilla Slice
Serving Size: 1 (117 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 398.0
- Calories from Fat 221
- Total Fat 24.5 g
- Saturated Fat 9.5 g
- Cholesterol 30.8 mg
- Sodium 125.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 19.7 g
- Protein 4.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: