Prep 2 hrs 30 mins
Cook 18 mins
This recipe was adapted from an old recipe from many years gone by. These buttery rolls are sure to please your family on holidays or anytime.
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened, Do Not Use Margarine*
- 1 large egg (Whisked)
- 3⁄4 cup water (120F*)
- 2 tablespoons water (120F*)
- Directions Add water, 1/4 cup butter, egg, salt, bread flour, sugar and yeast to bread machine pan in the order suggested by manufacturer.
- Select dough/manual cycle.
- Meanwhile, put 1/4 cup butter in baking pan.
- Melt butter over low heat.
- Tilt pan to grease bottom.
- When cycle is complete, remove dough from machine to lightly floured surface.
- Roll out dough 1/2-inch thick.
- With floured 2 3/4-inch round cutter, cut dough into circles.
- Holding dough circle by the edge, dip both sides into melted butter in pan; fold in half.
- Arrange folded dough in rows in pan, each nearly touching the other.
- Knead trimmings together; re-roll and cut more rolls.
- Cover and let rise in warm, draft-free place about 45 minutes, or until doubled.
- Bake in a preheated 400-degree oven 15 to 18 minutes, or until done.
- Remove from pan and let cool on wire rack.
- Brush With additional butter if desired.
- Makes approximately.
- 12-18 rolls. At 4 rolls each calories = 154.
- I've made the mistake of using margarine in this recipe and ended up with flat rolls even after a good raise due to the water content in some margarines. Best Wishes and Enjoy! The original recipe is more than 30 years old.
Easy and delicious rolls! I love that the bread machine does most of the work. We rolled them in balls, dipped in butter, and baked. I'm excited to warm them up again today to eat with our beef stew.
Tried these this weekend they are our new favorite! I also rolled them into balls and dipped them in butter. I let them rise about forty minutes before I made them into balls and then about an additional hour and a half after i had them in the pan. Perfect... thanks so much for the recipe :)
I add ingredients as stated on my bread machine. Water, egg, sifted flour, sugar, salt, 1/4 cup margarine (I like it better and it works great) and 2t of yeast. I skip steps 7-9 instead I make balls and dip them in melted butter then after the rolls have doubled in size I crease the center of the rolls with a spatula. Then I let the rolls rise another 15-20 minutes before baking. Thanks DonnaTMann.