Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
This cheese-laden loaf is boldly spiced, and in Paraguay it often accompanies a hearty beef soup. Every slice is peppered with moist corn kernels.
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup cottage cheese (4 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese (4 ounces)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Stir boiling water into cornmeal in 3-quart bowl; continue stirring until smooth. Blend in margarine and egg yolks. Stir in remaining ingredients except egg whites.
- Beat egg whites just until soft peaks form; fold into batter.
- Pour into greased 2-quart casserole.
- Bake until knife inserted near the center comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. 9 to 12 servings.
Very good recipe, the cornbread was so moist! I added a can of fire-roasted diced green chiles (drained), and did half sharp cheddar and half monterey jack cheese. I also used frozen corn (defrosted) instead of canned corn. Everyone loved it, and asked for the recipe.