3 hrs 45 mins
3 hrs 30 mins
I got this out of a San Antonio cookbook. This is how the book describes it. "Pan Dulce are dome-shaped sweet rolls with a sugar topping of vanilla, chocolate, or lemon etched into a shell design on top. Mexican neighborhood bakeries that are family owned and operated for two or three generations have fulfilled the baking needs of many San Antonians for a long time. Specializing in Pan Dulce, BOLILLO, Reposteria, Empanadas and Bunuelos, their traditional flavorings include cinnamon, chocolate, anise, and dried fruit." Serve fresh from the oven with Chocolate Mexicano or hot coffee. Well I hope you like it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 2/3 cups white bread flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 5 large eggs, beaten
- 1For Dough: In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast and 1 tablespoon sugar in warm water.
- 2Let stand 6-8 minutes.
- 3In a large mixing bowl, combine 3 cups bread flour, salt, sugar and shortening and blend thoroughly.
- 4Add yeast mixture and 2 eggs.
- 5Mix completely.
- 6Add remaining eggs and mix.
- 7Add remaining bread flour and mix until the dough forms a loose, soft, and elastic dough.
- 8It should be a little sticky but firm enough to shape easily with buttered hands.
- 9Butter the work surface into a 4x6-inch rectangle, 1 1/2 inches thick.
- 10Cut into 16 medium or 24 small squares.
- 11Cover lightly with plastic wrap for 1 to 1 1/2 hours and let dough rise.
- 12Shape each dough square into a dome-shaped circle.
- 13On a lightly greased cookie sheet, place rolls 2 inches apart.
- 14For Topping: In a food processor using a metal blade, add the butter, shortening, powdered sugar, 1 cup flour and vanilla.
- 15Process until smooth, then divide into 3 equal parts.
- 16Leave one part plain and shape into a log.
- 17With the 2nd piece, process in the food processor with lemon peel and shape into a log.
- 18Process the 3rd piece with cocoa and cinnamon and shape into a log.
- 19Chill the 3 logs until ready to use.
- 20Cut off 2 tablespoons of topping from the log and flatten with palms into a circle.
- 21Place topping circle on top of dough circle.
- 22It should completely cover dough.
- 23Use a sharp knife to cut a crisscross or shell design on top.
- 24Let rolls rise again in a warm place for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- 25Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 26Bake 12-15 minutes until lightly browned.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pan Dulce (dome-shaped sweet rolls)
Serving Size: 1 (80 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 283.0
- Calories from Fat 86
- Total Fat 9.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 65.7 mg
- Sodium 169.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 13.6 g
- Protein 6.2 g