Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep3 hrs 30 mins
I got this out of a San Antonio cookbook. This is how the book describes it. "Pan Dulce are dome-shaped sweet rolls with a sugar topping of vanilla, chocolate, or lemon etched into a shell design on top. Mexican neighborhood bakeries that are family owned and operated for two or three generations have fulfilled the baking needs of many San Antonians for a long time. Specializing in Pan Dulce, BOLILLO, Reposteria, Empanadas and Bunuelos, their traditional flavorings include cinnamon, chocolate, anise, and dried fruit." Serve fresh from the oven with Chocolate Mexicano or hot coffee. Well I hope you like it!
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3 2⁄3 cups white bread flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 5 large eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon, rind of
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- For Dough: In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast and 1 tablespoon sugar in warm water.
- Let stand 6-8 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 3 cups bread flour, salt, sugar and shortening and blend thoroughly.
- Add yeast mixture and 2 eggs.
- Mix completely.
- Add remaining eggs and mix.
- Add remaining bread flour and mix until the dough forms a loose, soft, and elastic dough.
- It should be a little sticky but firm enough to shape easily with buttered hands.
- Butter the work surface into a 4x6-inch rectangle, 1 1/2 inches thick.
- Cut into 16 medium or 24 small squares.
- Cover lightly with plastic wrap for 1 to 1 1/2 hours and let dough rise.
- Shape each dough square into a dome-shaped circle.
- On a lightly greased cookie sheet, place rolls 2 inches apart.
- For Topping: In a food processor using a metal blade, add the butter, shortening, powdered sugar, 1 cup flour and vanilla.
- Process until smooth, then divide into 3 equal parts.
- Leave one part plain and shape into a log.
- With the 2nd piece, process in the food processor with lemon peel and shape into a log.
- Process the 3rd piece with cocoa and cinnamon and shape into a log.
- Chill the 3 logs until ready to use.
- Cut off 2 tablespoons of topping from the log and flatten with palms into a circle.
- Place topping circle on top of dough circle.
- It should completely cover dough.
- Use a sharp knife to cut a crisscross or shell design on top.
- Let rolls rise again in a warm place for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake 12-15 minutes until lightly browned.