Cook1 hr 15 mins
I found this in a magazine a while ago. It looks like a great entertaining option since it can be prepared the day before.
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup Splenda brown sugar blend
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup all vegetable shortening
- 1 cup Splenda brown sugar blend
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups low-fat sour cream (or plain yogurt)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips, divided
- Filling: Combine pecans, brown sugar blend, and cinnamon. Reserve.
- Grease a 10” tube pan.
- Cake: Beat shortening and brown sugar blend until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after every addition. Beat in sour cream and vanilla. Add next 4 ingredients and mix until combined. Stir in ½ cup chocolate chips. Batter will be thick.
- Spread half the batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle half the filling mixture over batter.
- Sprinkle remaining ½ cup chocolate chips over filling. Spread remaining batter over chocolate chips and sprinkle with remaining filler.
- Cover and refrigerate 6-24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Uncover cake and bake for 65-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Great recipe Az. It's actually better the next morning. :) I didn't have a tube pan, and the bundt wouldn't hold all the batter, so I baked in a 9 x 13. Worked great. This is the first time I'v used the Splenda Brown. You couldn't tell it wasn't real brown sugar. The cake is moist and quite light. I mixed the batter first thing in the morning and baked the same evening. Made for the Auzzie/NZ Recipe Swap #29.
What a terrific cake! It was very easy to put together, and came out so moist and gorgeous! I made it the night before, and baked it and served it warm to friends the next day, and it came out beautifully. A very dense and flavourful cake, thanks so much! Made for Aussie Swap :)