Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 36 mins
Sweet and yummy! From Southern Living. A little different than the others posted as this has a simple glaze. Coat scissors or knife in flour to make chopping orange slice candy easier.
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup shortening (I use butter)
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 10 candy orange slices, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄2 cup flaked coconut
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- Stir together soda and 1 1/2 T water until dissolved.
- Beat shortening (butter) at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy. Gradually add sugars, beating until fluffy. Add soda mixture, eggs, candy, pecans and coconut. Beat until blended.
- Combine flour, oats and baking powder. Gradually add to shortening mixture, beating until blended.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto lightly greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350 for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Stir together powdered sugar and orange juice; drizzle over cookies.
This is an unusual recipe and I like unusual so I had to try this. These cookies turned out nice and soft and I think the only thing I'd do different is maybe add a little less sugar next time because with the addition of the candy pieces and the glaze they're very sweet. Very good, but sweet. I didn't add the nuts just as a personal preferance. The yield was right on too. I got about four dozen cookies. It was a nice change of pace from the usual chocolate chip cookie. My family enjoyed these. Thank you for sharing!