1/3 Photos of Old Fashioned Sour Cream Chocolate Fudge Cake With Icing
A rich, decadent cake just like the cakes that my Grandma used to make. So chocolatey, that a little piece will surely satisfy your sweet tooth. Enjoy! Be sure to use only *Unsweetened* Chocolate
My Private Note
-9x13 c ...
Units: US | Metric
- 9 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 teaspoons powdered instant coffee
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1Preheat Oven to 350°.
- 3Butter a 9x13 cake pan with 1 tbs of butter and set aside.
- 4Dissolve the coffee powder in the hot water and let cool.
- 5In a medium bowl, or on a piece of waxed paper, sift together the flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt.
- 6In a large bowl, cream together the 8 tbs of butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- 7Add the sour cream and mix well.
- 8In 3 additions, add the flour mixture alternately with the eggs, beating well after each addition.
- 9Beat in the melted chocolate, dissolved coffee, and vanilla.
- 10Spread the batter into the prepared pan.
- 11Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, about 30-35 minutes.
- 12Cool on a large wire rack for about 10 minutes.
- 13Carefully run a knife around the edges of cake, invert onto rack to cool completely.
- 15Beat the room temperature butter in a large bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- 16On low speed, beat in confectioner's sugar, about 1/4 cup at a time until smooth. Add the cooled chocolate and vanilla, mix well.
- 17Slice the cake in half horizontally. Transfer the bottom, cut side up to a platter (I gently slide the top layer onto a cutting board until needed).
- 18Spread about 1/2 of the icing over the cake, it will be a generous amount.
- 19Top with the top half of the cake, cut side down.
- 20Spread the remaining icing over the top and sides of cake.
- 21Sprinkle with powdered sugar to garnish if desired.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old Fashioned Sour Cream Chocolate Fudge Cake With Icing
Serving Size: 1 (122 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 536.5
- Calories from Fat 331
- Total Fat 36.8 g
- Saturated Fat 22.8 g
- Cholesterol 87.1 mg
- Sodium 249.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 39.1 g
- Protein 4.6 g