A rich, decadent cake just like the cakes that my Grandma used to make. So chocolatey, that a little piece will surely satisfy your sweet tooth. Enjoy! Be sure to use only *Unsweetened* Chocolate
- 9 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 teaspoons powdered instant coffee
- 1⁄3 cup hot water
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 lb unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar (powdered sugar)
- 12 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted, cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- powdered sugar, garnish (optional)
- Preheat Oven to 350°.
- Butter a 9x13 cake pan with 1 tbs of butter and set aside.
- Dissolve the coffee powder in the hot water and let cool.
- In a medium bowl, or on a piece of waxed paper, sift together the flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream together the 8 tbs of butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the sour cream and mix well.
- In 3 additions, add the flour mixture alternately with the eggs, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in the melted chocolate, dissolved coffee, and vanilla.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, about 30-35 minutes.
- Cool on a large wire rack for about 10 minutes.
- Carefully run a knife around the edges of cake, invert onto rack to cool completely.
- Beat the room temperature butter in a large bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- On low speed, beat in confectioner's sugar, about 1/4 cup at a time until smooth. Add the cooled chocolate and vanilla, mix well.
- Slice the cake in half horizontally. Transfer the bottom, cut side up to a platter (I gently slide the top layer onto a cutting board until needed).
- Spread about 1/2 of the icing over the cake, it will be a generous amount.
- Top with the top half of the cake, cut side down.
- Spread the remaining icing over the top and sides of cake.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar to garnish if desired.