1 hr 15 mins
Erica Vasta's Note:
This looks like it belongs on a magazine cover! And tastes as good as it looks everytime! It's well worth the effort.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (frozen)
- 4 tablespoons Crisco (vegetable Lard, frozen)
- 3 -4 tablespoons ice water
- 4 cups granny smith apples, peeled and sliced (tart)
- 4 cups mcintosh apples, peeled and sliced (sweet)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1Mix flour, salt and sugar.
- 2Grate in butter and Crisco tossing flour regularly.
- 3Rub mixture with hands until crumbly.
- 4Sprinkle with ice water and mix with spatula (DO NOT OVERMIX).
- 5Divide into 2 balls and flatten into 4” discs, wrap and chill for 20 minutes before rolling out (or freeze for later use).
- 6Preheat oven to 425°.
- 7Mix sugars, cornstarch, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg and coat apples well.
- 8Mound coated apples into bottom of the unbaked pie shell.
- 9Place lid onto pie shell and make some decorative slits for steam to escape.
- 10Glaze with egg white and sugar.
- 11Wrap a strip of tin foil around the edge of the pie (leaving the top open, this is just to stop the crust from burning) and bake at 425° for 25 minutes.
- 12Remove foil and reduce oven temperature to 375° and bake for another 30 minutes or until pie is a deep golden brown.
- 13Let cool to room temperature, and reheat if desired. (pie will be runny if it’s eaten while it’s hot from the oven, but not if it’s reheated once it’s cooled).
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old Fashioned Apple Pie
Serving Size: 1 (1594 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2989.7
- Calories from Fat 1220
- Total Fat 135.5 g
- Saturated Fat 67.3 g
- Cholesterol 213.7 mg
- Sodium 1935.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 441.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 31.2 g
- Sugars 267.4 g
- Protein 24.5 g