This is an old family favorite. The best apple pie we have ever had. I hope it becomes one of your favorites.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Stir in flour to form a paste.
- Add water, white sugar and brown sugar and bring to a boil.
- Stir in the vanilla and cinnamon.
- Reduce temperature and let simmer.
- Place the bottom crust in your pan.
- Fill with apples, mounded slightly.
- Cover with a lattice work of crust.
- Gently pour the sugar and butter liquid over the crust.
- Pour slowly so that it does not run off.
- Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Reduce temperature to 350 degrees and continue to bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until apples are soft.
This recipe was absolutely delicious and very simple to put together! I highly suggest it!
Thank You ! This Pie is easy to make and easy to love !
Oops! I didn't follow directions correctly, and it still turned out great. Instead of pouring the sauce over the outer crust, I let the slurry cool a bit and stirred it into the cut up apples. That will teach me not to read directions first! Oh well--I just put a lattice top crust on, giving it an egg-white wash with a sprinkling of sugar and baked as directed. A beautiful looking pie...inside and out. Its taste is slightly different than a typical apple pie--I attribute that to half brown/half white sugar and 1/2 C butter. A nice combination and a little bit different than usual--thanks Nimz.