I am occasionally called on mass produce cookies for events and need recipes which deliver homemade results with ease. A handy supply of cake mixes allow me to do just that. This particular recipe combines some elements of my favorite scratch recipes starting with a yellow cake mix. The cookies are slightly crispy on the outside and tender and chewy in the center.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Cream together the butter, shortening, egg, brown sugar and vanilla.
- Add in the cake mix, cinnamon and walnuts until well mixed. Combine in the oatmeal and water. Depending on your mixer you may need to do this by hand.
- Stir in the raisins. The amount of raisins is really a matter of personal taste. If you like raisins, start with 1 cup and decide if you want more. If you love raisins, start with the full amount and add and up to an additional 1/2 cup.
- Place level tablespoons of dough on to a cookie sheet 1 1/2 inches apart. Flatten tops a bit as the cookies retain their shape. That is they do not melt down as some cookies do.
- Bake at for 14 minutes, cookies should be lighted browned at the edges and and pale on top. If you like a crisper cookie, add 2 minutes to the baking time.
- Note: Baking times are for the stated size which yield a nice two-bite sized cookie great for events. If you are making larger cookies, please adjust your baking time accordingly.