I received this recipe from a friend,when I told her I wanted to make something for everyone at work. This was fantastic and a big hit at my job. I will definitely make these again--not only for work (though they keep bugging me for more), but for all occasions.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Spread 3/4 cup coconut evenly on a baking sheet.
- Toast in middle of oven, stirring once, until golden, about 8 minutes, and then cool.
- Blend together flour, sugars, and salt in food processor.
- Then add butter and blend until a dough begins to form.
- Transfer to a bowl and knead in oats and toasted coconut until well combined.
- Reserve 3/4 cup of dough.
- Press remainder of dough evenly into bottom of a buttered 13x9-inch metal baking pan.
- Spread jam over it.
- Crumble reserved dough evenly over jam.
- Sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup untoasted coconut.
- Bake in middle of oven until golden, 20-25 minutes.
- Cool completely in pan on a rack.
- Loosen from sides of pan with a sharp knife.
- Lift out in one piece and transfer to a cutting board.
- Cut into 24 bars.
- Note: Bars can be made 3 days ahead and kept in an airtight container.
The food processor is a good idea--it makes quick preparation time of these delicious bars. I used Solo raspberry filling instead of jam. Mine were a little crumbly, so taking them out in one piece (as directed in step #15) was impossible. That didn't matter; the good taste is what counts. Thanks, veruca salt!
Made these for my husband to take to a potluck at work and everyone loved them! Such an easy bar to put together that bakes up so nice,thanks for sharing!
Loved the combo of raspberry & coconut in these bars ~ VERY TASTY, & a great addition to my bar-&-cookie layout! Thanks for sharing a great recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup cooking game]