Prep 45 mins
Cook 40 mins
Good healthy alternative to brownies. Requested this recipe from a good friend while smelling it baking in her oven:) Kids and adults alike love this, esp. those who are fond of oatmeal cookies.
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 3⁄4 cups boiling water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1 (12 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate bits
- Mix the oat and boiling water, let stand for 10 minutes.
- Next, stir in the sugar, eggs and butter.
- In another bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour, baking soda, salt, cocoa, and the semi sweet morsels.
- Combine all ingredients; pour into greased 9x13 pan; sprinkle remaining pkg of chocolate morsels over batter; add chopped nuts (optional) Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.
Great not too sweet snack cake. This smells just like chocolate chip cookies when it bakes. Yum. I did add 1 tsp. of vanilla and only had to cook it for 30 minutes. Do divide your chips...some are suppose to go on top according to the recipe. I also added 1/4c. of minced salted peanuts on top. Fantastic. Will be making this again and again. Betcha can't eat just one square.
I was looking for a nice oatmeal cake recipe and decided to try this one. It is very good. I made a few changes. I did not add the chocolate chips. Instead, I frosted this cake with a simple chocolate/coffee frosting. I also subsitituted 3/4 cup of white flour with 3/4 cup whole wheat flour. It came out quite lovely......try it!!!!
Delicious! Slightly dense, so more of a snack cake than a birthday cake, but so good! I dont like cake but this one is definitely a keeper! So much more flavour and texture than normal cakes.