12 hrs 40 mins
Galley Wench's Note:
A traditional holiday bread that looks like a tortilla. It's made with mashed potatoes and is usually filled with cranberry relish or a preserve. I've not yet made this recipe, however it looks very authentic. Found it on allrecipes.com
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel and cook potatoes in large pot of water.
- 2Drain and mash.
- 3In large bowl combine 8 cups mashed potatoes, cream, butter, salt and sugar.
- 4Cover potatoes and refrigerate overnight.
- 5Next Morning:.
- 6Mix flour into the mash potato mixture.
- 7Roll the mixture into 2 - 2 1/2 inch (approx.) balls.
- 8Place on plate and refrigerate to keep cold.
- 9Taking one ball out of the refrigerator at a time, roll dough on a floured board using a a rolling pin covered with cotton, until very thin (like a tortilla).
- 10Preheat griddle, iron skillet, or Lefse pan until very hot, reduce heat slightly.
- 11Cook each piece on the griddle until light brown.
- 12Remove to kitchen towel, cover to keep warm.
- 13Stack lefse on each other to keep moist.
- 14Serve with cranberry relish, preserves, or some like it with just butter with sugar sprinkled on it.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Norwegian Potato Lefse
Serving Size: 1 (305 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 573.6
- Calories from Fat 182
- Total Fat 20.2 g
- Saturated Fat 12.2 g
- Cholesterol 58.9 mg
- Sodium 733.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 86.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 10.9 g