Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A traditional holiday bread that looks like a tortilla. It's made with mashed potatoes and is usually filled with cranberry relish or a preserve. I've not yet made this recipe, however it looks very authentic. Found it on allrecipes.com
- Peel and cook potatoes in large pot of water.
- Drain and mash.
- In large bowl combine 8 cups mashed potatoes, cream, butter, salt and sugar.
- Cover potatoes and refrigerate overnight.
- Next Morning:.
- Mix flour into the mash potato mixture.
- Roll the mixture into 2 - 2 1/2 inch (approx.) balls.
- Place on plate and refrigerate to keep cold.
- Taking one ball out of the refrigerator at a time, roll dough on a floured board using a a rolling pin covered with cotton, until very thin (like a tortilla).
- Preheat griddle, iron skillet, or Lefse pan until very hot, reduce heat slightly.
- Cook each piece on the griddle until light brown.
- Remove to kitchen towel, cover to keep warm.
- Stack lefse on each other to keep moist.
- Serve with cranberry relish, preserves, or some like it with just butter with sugar sprinkled on it.
I have been looking for a lefsa recipe. I grew up eating lefse and lutefisk every Christmas. Roll it up like a taco and UMMMM. Thank you for posting this.