3 hrs 25 mins
Linda's Busy Kitchen's Note:
This is a recipe from World Class Baker Nick Malgieri. He is an excellent baker, and is known all over the world for his splendid baking abilities! These simple sugar-and-cinnamon-filled rolls are popular throughout Scandinavia, but this Norwegian version is especially good, and also quite easy to prepare. Makes 24 3-4" spiral rolls
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted (1 stick)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (spoon flour into dry-measure cup and level off)
- 1You will need:.
- 22 cookie sheets (lined with parchment or lined with foil) or 2 jelly roll pans (lined with parchment or lined with foil).
- 4Warm the milk in a small saucepan over low heat, until it is just lukewarm, about 110 degrees. Pour the milk into the bowl of an electric mixer, and whisk in the yeast by hand.
- 5Whisk in the butter, sugar, and cardamom.
- 6Use a large rubber spatula to stir in the flour. Place the bowl on the mixer with the paddle attachment and beat the dough on lowest speed for 2 minutes. Stop the mixer, and allow the dough to rest for 10 minutes.
- 7Beat the dough on medium speed for 2 more minutes, until it is smooth and elastic.
- 8Scrape the dough into a buttered bowl, and turn the dough over so that the top is buttered.
- 9Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow the dough to rise until doubled, about 1-1 1/2 hours.
- 10Scrape the risen dough out onto a floured work surface, and lightly flour the dough. Press the dough into a rough rectangle.
- 11Roll the dough to a rectangle that is 12x18".
- 13Use a pastry brush to paint the dough with the melted butter.
- 14Mix the sugar and cinnamon together, and evenly sprinkle on the buttered dough.
- 15Roll up the dough jelly-roll style from one of the 18" ends, being careful not to stretch the dough in the length at the same time.
- 16Cut the dough into 24 3/4"slices.
- 17Arrange the spirals of dough, cut sides up, on the prepared pans, keeping them about 2" apart in all directions. Press in on the edges of the spirals if necessary to make sure that they are even round shapes.
- 18Paint the tops of the rolls with the egg wash, and sprinkle generously with pearl sugar.
- 19Cover the pans with towels or buttered plastic wrap, and let the rolls rise until they are not quite doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 20About 15 minutes before the rolls are risen, set racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven, and preheat to 375.
- 21Bake the rolls for about 15 minutes, then change the positions of the pans so that the lower pan is on the upper rack, and vice versa. Turn the pans back to front at the same time.
- 22Bake the rolls for another 5-10 minutes, or until they are well colored and firm to the touch.
- 23Slide the papers from the pans to racks to cool the rolls.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Norwegian Cinnamon Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (1173 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 160.7
- Calories from Fat 60
- Total Fat 6.6 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 25.8 mg
- Sodium 17.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 3.1 g