Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
An Alaska homemaker won top prize with these buttery bars with the cream cheese filling.
Make and share this Northern Light Bars recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup regular margarine
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose white flour
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- Cream together butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add flour and walnuts; mix well. RESERVE 3/4 cup mixture for topping. Press remaining mixture into greased 8 inch square baking pan. Bake in 350°F oven 12 to 15 minutes.
- Beat together sugar and cream cheese until smooth. Beat in egg, milk, lemon juice and vanilla; mix well. Spread over baked crust. Sprinkle with reserved crumbs.
- Bake in 350°F oven 25 minutes or until done. Cool in pan on rack. Cut in 2 inch squares. Makes 16 squares.
- Country Fair Cookbook.
This was easy and delicious. Thanks for the great recipe!