Submitted for Zaar World Tour '06. My recipe card says I got this from Family Circle Magazine in December 1986! I must have made it back then sometime, because there's a red star on the card, (good for gift-giving), and a note that the flavor of this traditional German Christmas bread improves with a few days aging...
- Preheat oven to 350* F.
- Into large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, cardamom and salt.
- Cut in the butter until coarse crumbs form.
- Mix together cottage cheese, egg and vanilla.
- Add to flour mixture along with raisins.
- Stir until dough forms.
- Turn out onto lightly floured board and knead abut 10 turns, adding more flour if neccessary.
- Dough should be soft, not stiff.
- Roll dough into a 10-inch circle.
- Brush with 1 Tablespoon melted butter.
- Fold dough in half, just a little off-center.
- Bake on greased cookie sheet 40-50 minutes, or till golden brown.
- Brush with 2 Tablespoons butter while hot.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Wrap in plastic or foil when completely cool.
- Store at room temperature for 2 days before serving.
- Sprinkle with confectioner's sugar just before serving.
- Keeps up to 1 week.