1/4 Photos of No-Fry Doughnuts
2 hrs 30 mins
V'nut-Beyond Redemption's Note:
I got this recipe from 1999 issue of The Best of Country Cooking. I really didn't fancy frying anything and boy was I happy when I found it. Made it and it's a pity I didn't have any fellow Zaarians to help me finish it! There were just the two of us... Here in Singapore, it takes a very short time for the dough to double. Cooking time is the time taken for dough to rise.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 cups warm milk
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 1/2-5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup melted butter or 1/4 cup margarine
- 1Dissolve yeast in water.
- 2Add milk and shortening.
- 3Stir for 1 minute.
- 4Add sugar, eggs, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon and 2 cups flour; beat on low speed until smooth.
- 5Stir in enough flour to form soft dough but do not knead.
- 6Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled.
- 7Punch down and turn onto a floured surface.
- 8Roll out to 1/2 inch thickness.
- 9Cut with a 2.75 inch doughnut cutter.
- 10Place 2 inches apart on greased baking sheets and brush with butter.
- 11Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled.
- 12Bake at 350F or 180C for 20 mins or until lightly browned.
- 13Meanwhile, melt butter in a saucepan, add sugar, water and vanilla.
- 14Stir over low heat until smooth (do not boil).
- 15Keep warm.
- 16Dip warm doughnuts one at a time into glaze and turn to coat.
- 17Drain on wire rack.
- 18Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for No-Fry Doughnuts
Serving Size: 1 (71 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 235.5
- Calories from Fat 88
- Total Fat 9.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 32.8 mg
- Sodium 162.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 14.0 g
- Protein 3.7 g