Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 hrs
All the rum balls I saw on this site use cookie or wafers crumbs as a base. This one come from New Zealand and has raisins and coconut. They need to be made a day in advance, though. This recipe comes from "The Joy of Cookies" by Sharon Tyler Herbst. Cook time is the 24 hours that they need to sit overnight and the 1 hour that the rum and oats rest.
- 1⁄3 cup dark rum
- 1⁄3 cup rolled oats
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2⁄3 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- 2⁄3 cup golden raisin
- 2⁄3 cup shredded coconut
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- In a large bowl, combine rum and oats; cover and set aside 1 hour.
- Add all remaining ingredients except granulated sugar; stir until well combined. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Roll teaspoons of mixture into 1-inch balls. Place sugar in a small bowl. Roll balls in sugar, coating each generously.
- Store 24 hours in an airtight container at room temperature before serving. May be stored in an airtight container for up to 10 days or freeze for longer storage.
Cookie Lady - yum : ) ! These were highly rated by fiance's family and may have even made up for the very average wine I brought by mistake! I used pecans for walnuts and they've been sitting nicely in fridge for about 3 weeks, improving in flavour. Thanks!