Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is the recipe of the old fashioned gingerbread cookies given as part of the tour for the Scovil Bakery in Old Nauvoo. The cookies freeze well and are softer and more flavorful after freezing.
- Combine sugar, sorghum and oil. Rinse sorghum from cup with hot water.
- Add 2 eggs.
- Mix together the following: soda, cinnamon, ginger, salt, and flour.
- Combine the two mixtures.
- Refrigerate dough overnight.
- Roll out and cut with cookie cutter.
- Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes.
So good! Everyone will want more. I agree with the tip about freezing them. They are softer and very flavorful after they thaw. Some might think they are too soft, but I just thought they were delicious.