My granmother was German and made this cake and I have very fond memories of eating this with her at the dining room table talking away the troubles of a young girls day. LOL Lots of butter and eggs. Not a low cal low carb cake but its soooo good. I had to sit and watch her make this stopping her to trya and measure this recipe out. This makes 1 bundt cake or 6 muffins.
- Cream together the 3/4 pounds of butter and sugar, mix well.
- Add 6 egg yolks, and vanilla and beat well.
- Add grated lemon rind and beat.
- Add flour sifted with 1 heaping teaspoon baking powder.
- Beat 6 egg whites until stiff and fold into the above mixture. Reserve 2 cups of this mixture to make the chocolate mixture.
- Chocolate mixture:.
- In bowl Combine 2 Tablespoons sugar, 3 heaping teaspoons cocoa, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, 2 heaping tablespoons of sour cream, and 2 cups of the above batter to make the chocolate mixture.
- Grease bundt pan well add white batter then chocolate batter alternately until the pan is over 1/2 full.
- Bake at 325 on lowest rack in the oven for 1 hour until brown.
- When cooled you can frost to your liking or sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- We ate it as is and it was wonderful.