I can't believe I'm sharing this family recipe. It's the signature Jansen Family Recipe and no family gathering is complete without it. I'm submitting it for a request for recipes and ideas for a sleep-over/birthday party event. It's from my Mom, it's old, I have no idea where it came from. No need to drag out the mix-master for this, just a bowl and a pot is all you need.
- Combine sugar and flour in a large bowl.
- Boil 1/4 C cocoa, water, 1/2 lb butter in a medium sized sauce pan.
- Pour chocolate mixture over flour and sugar mixture and stir well.
- Add buttermilk, beaten eggs soda and vanilla.
- Pour into a jelly roll pan (which is, roughly, 11x15 and 1 inch deep), bake at 400° for 20 minutes.
- While cake is baking, make frosting.
- Combine frosting ingredients, except for confectioners sugar, in the same sauce pan used for chocolate mixture above (saves washing dishes).
- Boil, then add confectioners sugar.
- Pour over hot cake, sprinkle with nuts, and let set for an hour or two.
- Serve and watch the smiles and requests for the recipe.