1/4 Photos of My Mom's Chocolate Cake
Hey Jude's Note:
I can't believe I'm sharing this family recipe. It's the signature Jansen Family Recipe and no family gathering is complete without it. I'm submitting it for a request for recipes and ideas for a sleep-over/birthday party event. It's from my Mom, it's old, I have no idea where it came from. No need to drag out the mix-master for this, just a bowl and a pot is all you need.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 lb butter
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1Combine sugar and flour in a large bowl.
- 2Boil 1/4 C cocoa, water, 1/2 lb butter in a medium sized sauce pan.
- 3Pour chocolate mixture over flour and sugar mixture and stir well.
- 4Add buttermilk, beaten eggs soda and vanilla.
- 5Pour into a jelly roll pan (which is, roughly, 11x15 and 1 inch deep), bake at 400° for 20 minutes.
- 6While cake is baking, make frosting.
- 7Combine frosting ingredients, except for confectioners sugar, in the same sauce pan used for chocolate mixture above (saves washing dishes).
- 8Boil, then add confectioners sugar.
- 9Pour over hot cake, sprinkle with nuts, and let set for an hour or two.
- 10Serve and watch the smiles and requests for the recipe.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Mom's Chocolate Cake
Serving Size: 1 (88 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 291.2
- Calories from Fat 111
- Total Fat 12.3 g
- Saturated Fat 7.6 g
- Cholesterol 48.5 mg
- Sodium 146.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 35.5 g
- Protein 2.2 g