1/2 Photos of My Grandma's Chocolate Pies
My grandma didn't measure anything so this is as close as I could get. I never said it was a healthy recipe. It can be made without the evaporated milk and using low fat or skim milk and using margarine instead of butter but please use real vanilla and a good quality cocoa. You might have to adjust the cornstarch or cocoa depending on how thick or chocolaty you like your pies. I make 2 of these pies for every church covered dish meal and never get to bring a slice home. Oh yes...you can cook the filling in a large double boiler to avoid scorching it, it just takes longer.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (9 inch) deep dish pie shells, baked (bought or homemade)
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 6 tablespoons good quality cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring (NOT ARTIFICIAL)
- 1 (15 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 6 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1Stir together sugar, cornstarch, salt and cocoa in a heavy 3 quart boiler.
- 2Beat egg yolks with milk and stir into dry ingredients.
- 3Add butter that has been cut into small cubes and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and just begins to "bubble".
- 4You must stir constantly or this filling will scorch.
- 5Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and pour into baked pie shells and let cool some.
- 6Make a meringue from the 6 egg whites, cream of tarter and sugar.
- 7Spread on top of pies and brown in the oven at 325°F.
- 8Remove pies from oven when meringue is nicely brown.
- 9Let cool at least 30 minutes before you attempt to cut these pies.
- 10Let the kids or dear hubby have the pot and stirring spoon to lick clean.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Grandma's Chocolate Pies
Serving Size: 1 (2579 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2607.5
- Calories from Fat 1020
- Total Fat 113.4 g
- Saturated Fat 52.7 g
- Cholesterol 805.9 mg
- Sodium 1905.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 350.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
- Sugars 244.8 g
- Protein 58.0 g