1/1 Photo of Multigrain Sunflower Sourdough Bread
24 hrs 50 mins
Inspired by Multigrain Loaf (By the Canadian Living Test Kitchen), which I really loved, but wanted to make as sourdough. I loved the result, so I'm posting it here hoping someone else loves it as much as me! I used 2 cups of 7 grain multigrain bread flour that I found at the St. Lawrence Market in Toronto, and 2 1/2 cups of Robin Hood Best for Bread Multigrain flour (which is really white, whole wheat, cracked wheat, and ground flax.) I used 1847 Oregon Trail Sourdough which I had just gotten two days prior, but any sourdough would do! The flour can be a combination of multigrain and whole wheat or white flour, to your taste preference. If you're so inspired, top this loaf with 7 grain cereal, oats, bran. Spray the loaf with Pam or water and then sprinkle with the topping before baking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
To make Proofed Starter
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup sourdough starter
- 1 cup multigrain whole wheat bread flour
- 4 1/2 cups multigrain whole wheat flour (or combination of multigrain, whole wheat, and white)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- seven-grain cereal
- 1Starter: In large bowl, combine water, sugar, starter, flour, stirring until mixture is consistency of thick pancake batter, about 2 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap; let stand in warm place until bubbly and puffy, and yeasty/sour aroma develops, 8 to 12 hours.
- 2Stir in 4 cups of the flour, warm water, sunflower seeds, honey and salt, using a stand mixer or your hands, to make soft, somewhat sticky dough. Add the remaining 1/2 cup flour if the dough is too sticky.
- 3Turn out into oiled bowl; let rest for 30 minutes. Fold dough (like folding a letter), turn 90 degrees, fold again, repeat twice. Return to bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rest 30 minutes more; repeat foldings. Form into loaf - round or loaf shaped, cover, and let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk, 2 to 2 1-1/2 hours. You can place it in a greased loaf pan or cookie sheet, in a brotform -- whatever. I highly recommend using a brotform and a baking stone, or a clay baker, but it works well with a simple loaf pan.
- 4Preheat oven to 375. If using a stone, place it in while preheating, for around 20 minutes. If using a clay baker, follow the usual process.
- 5If using topping, spray with Pam or water, and sprinkle it on top. Slash top. Bake in centre of 375°F (190°C) oven until instant-read thermometer registers 215°F (102°C) and/or loaf is golden and sounds hollow when tapped on bottom, 50 minutes. Transfer to rack; let cool.
Browse Our Top Sourdough Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sourdough Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Multigrain Sunflower Sourdough Bread
Serving Size: 1 (104 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 232.6
- Calories from Fat 36
- Total Fat 4.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 294.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.3 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 8.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: