1/2 Photos of Multi Grain Bread
2 hrs 30 mins
Goji Girl's Note:
Red teff is a cereal grain and is one of the best plant sources of iron. I wanted to add it to our diet, but didn't particularly like it cooked as a hot cereal. So I came up with this bread! My family loves it - my mom has even offered to pay me to make it for her. I hope you enjoy it too. I use part bread flour to help make the bread lighter and hasten the rising time. If you want to use whole wheat flour instead of the bread flour, add wheat gluten to improve the rise - 1 Tbsp per cup of total wheat flour. And if you can't find red teff, use white teff. It doesn't have nearly as much iron, but is still great for you.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups unbleached bread flour or 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 teaspoons active dry yeast (2 packages)
- 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup flax seed
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup whole grain red teff
- 1/4 cup cracked wheat
- 1/4 cup whole grain cornmeal
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons canola oil (I used walnut last time)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup soy flour
- 2 1/2-3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- rolled oats, for garnish
- 1In a large mixing bowl combine bread flour, yeast, sunflower seeds, and flax seeds. Set aside.
- 2In a medium saucepan, combine milk through salt. Heat and stir over medium-low heat until warm (120-130 degrees). Add to dry mixture. Beat with electric mixer on low to medium 30 seconds, scraping sides of bowl often. Beat on high 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in soy flour, rolled oats, and as much whole wheat flour as you can.
- 3Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the whole wheat flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic. (6-8 minutes total) Shape into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise until nearly double. (approx 1 hour).
- 4Punch dough down. Turn dough out onto a lightly greased surface. Divide in half. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Lightly grease 2 loaf pans.
- 5Shape each portion into a loaf. Place in prepared pans. Cover, let rise till double. (approx 30 minutes).
- 6Brush tops of loaves with water, sprinkle with additional rolled oats.
- 7Bake in a 375F oven for 30-35 minutes until center of loaf reads 190F on an instant read thermometer. If necessary, cover loosely with foil for last 10 minutes to prevent over browning. Immediately remove bread from pans. Cool on wire racks.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Multi Grain Bread
Serving Size: 1 (45 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 32
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 118.4
- Calories from Fat 32
- Total Fat 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 1.6 mg
- Sodium 117.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 4.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: