1 hr 20 mins
lynnski / LA's Note:
This heavenly bread recipe comes from the Monastery of the Angels, Los Angeles, California. The nuns sell this homemade bread in their gift shop. For information on a visit, do a google search. Meanwhile, here's the recipe. The bread freezes well and makes a good make-ahead holiday gift. It's been a best seller at the nuns annual Holiday Boutique, a fund raiser with the proceeds going to charity, held in the rotunda of the Los Angeles City Hall. This popular recipe has been published several times in the Los Angeles Times food section, reader request column; and can also be found in the "Los Angeles Times California Cookbook" 1981 (republished in 1990) on page 264.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2In a large bowl mix together flour, sugar, soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- 3combine eggs, oil, water, and pumpkin and mix well.
- 4Stir wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- 5Add chopped walnuts.
- 6Turn into three greased 8 X 4-inch loaf pans.
- 7Top with a few walnut halves.
- 8Bake for one hour or until a wood pick inserted in the center of a loaf comes out clean.
- 9Cool before removing from the pans.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Monastery of the Angels Pumpkin Bread
Serving Size: 1 (51 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 40
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 184.0
- Calories from Fat 80
- Total Fat 8.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 21.1 mg
- Sodium 157.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 15.2 g
- Protein 2.4 g