Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This heavenly bread recipe comes from the Monastery of the Angels, Los Angeles, California. The nuns sell this homemade bread in their gift shop. For information on a visit, do a google search. Meanwhile, here's the recipe. The bread freezes well and makes a good make-ahead holiday gift. It's been a best seller at the nuns annual Holiday Boutique, a fund raiser with the proceeds going to charity, held in the rotunda of the Los Angeles City Hall. This popular recipe has been published several times in the Los Angeles Times food section, reader request column; and can also be found in the "Los Angeles Times California Cookbook" 1981 (republished in 1990) on page 264.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl mix together flour, sugar, soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- combine eggs, oil, water, and pumpkin and mix well.
- Stir wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Add chopped walnuts.
- Turn into three greased 8 X 4-inch loaf pans.
- Top with a few walnut halves.
- Bake for one hour or until a wood pick inserted in the center of a loaf comes out clean.
- Cool before removing from the pans.