I submitted Mom's 100% Whole Wheat Air Buns (#168802) recently, but I have done some tweaking of that recipe, (which does not contain egg or milk), and I like this one better. Unlike many whole grain breads, these rolls are delicious, soft, and light. This is a reincarnation of Mom's Air Buns #168628, which uses white flour, and is a winner in the taste and texture department, but this one is much healthier because of the added protein and fibre.
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm water, approximately
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 tablespoons skim milk powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons roasted unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- 1⁄2 cup large flake oatmeal
- 2 tablespoons gluten
- 4 cups whole wheat flour, minus 2 Tablespoons
- 2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
- Put egg in a 2 cup measure, whisk, and add enough warm water to come up to the 1 1/2 cup line.
- Put this water/egg mixture, oil, honey, salt, vinegar, oats and seeds, in the bucket of the bread machine.
- Sprinkle the powdered milk on top.
- In the bottom of a one cup measure, put 2 tablespoons of gluten, and then fill the cup with whole wheat bread flour.
- Put that, and another 3 cups of flour on top of the liquids.
- Add yeast to surface, and programme for "dough" cycle.
- You may need to add an additional tablespoon or two of water to give a smooth slightly sticky dough when the machine begins to knead.
- I make either 2 9" round cake pans of rolls, each with 8 rolls per pan, or one pan of rolls, and form the other half of the dough into a rounded loaf, and let both rise till double (the rolls will fill the pans).
- Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes for the rolls, and approximately 25 minutes for the loaf. The rolls will be deeply golden brown, and oh so yummy!
Yummy! I shaped these into 16 hot dog/brat buns and skipped the seeds since i didn't think that would go well with the hot dogs! I also skipped the gluten, didn't have any and they still turned out good but had to add another 1/4 cup water.
Best whole grain bread I've made with or without a bread machine! Love the seeds, love the texture and flavor, mixed in my bread machine and baked as a loaf in the oven. Fabulous!
I see it's been over 5 years since this recipe was originally posted. It still rocks in 2012 Sweet Baboo! Thanks - it worked out great - exactly as written.