1/2 Photos of Mom's 100% Whole Grain Air Buns (Rolls) (Knead Dough in the Abm)
3 hrs 20 mins
Sweet Baboo's Note:
I submitted Mom's 100% Whole Wheat Air Buns (#168802) recently, but I have done some tweaking of that recipe, (which does not contain egg or milk), and I like this one better. Unlike many whole grain breads, these rolls are delicious, soft, and light. This is a reincarnation of Mom's Air Buns #168628, which uses white flour, and is a winner in the taste and texture department, but this one is much healthier because of the added protein and fibre.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cups warm water, approximately
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 tablespoons skim milk powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons roasted unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- 1/2 cup large flake oatmeal
- 2 tablespoons gluten
- 4 cups whole wheat flour, minus 2 Tablespoons
- 2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
- 1Put egg in a 2 cup measure, whisk, and add enough warm water to come up to the 1 1/2 cup line.
- 2Put this water/egg mixture, oil, honey, salt, vinegar, oats and seeds, in the bucket of the bread machine.
- 3Sprinkle the powdered milk on top.
- 4In the bottom of a one cup measure, put 2 tablespoons of gluten, and then fill the cup with whole wheat bread flour.
- 5Put that, and another 3 cups of flour on top of the liquids.
- 6Add yeast to surface, and programme for "dough" cycle.
- 7You may need to add an additional tablespoon or two of water to give a smooth slightly sticky dough when the machine begins to knead.
- 8I make either 2 9" round cake pans of rolls, each with 8 rolls per pan, or one pan of rolls, and form the other half of the dough into a rounded loaf, and let both rise till double (the rolls will fill the pans).
- 9Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes for the rolls, and approximately 25 minutes for the loaf. The rolls will be deeply golden brown, and oh so yummy!
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's 100% Whole Grain Air Buns (Rolls) (Knead Dough in the Abm)
Serving Size: 1 (66 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 171.0
- Calories from Fat 46
- Total Fat 5.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 11.7 mg
- Sodium 155.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 5.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: