Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
this is A fun fresh summer Italian treat! with a crunchy crust and a tart berry middle it makes a great quick dessert! it's really good with half wholewheet flour and half white flour....but play around with it and find out what you like best!
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour, plus
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup fresh raspberry
- 1 cup fresh blackberry
- 1⁄2 cup blueberries (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Make the dough -- Combine 1 1/4 cup flour, 1/4 cup sugar and salt in a large bowl. Form a well in the center of the dry ingredients and place the butter and 1 egg in the well. Using your hands mix the ingredients into soft pliable dough. Form it into a 4 inch disk and place it on a lightly floured parchment paper. Lightly dust the dough with flour and roll it into a 10-inch circle. Place dough with parchment paper on a baking sheet, cover the dough in plastic wrap, and chill for 10 minute
- Make the Crostata: Un a small bowl mix renaining flour and sugar and set aside. Remove the dough from the fridge and evenly spread the flour and sugar mixture on the dough leaving a 1-inch winde border arroung the edge.Place berries on top of the mixture and sprinkel with lemon juice. Fold the 1 inch border over the edge of the top of the berries to form a 9 inch Crostata.
- Bake the Croatata: Lightly brush the top of Crostatat dough with remaining beaten egg and sprinkle with terbinado sugar if desired. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for about 35 minutes. Remove form oven and slide Crostata with the parchment paper onto a wire rack.
- Cool for 1 hour. Serve warm or at room temperature with vanilla icecream!
We really enjoyed this recipe. I did cheat some and used a refrigerated pie crust ~ I am pie crust challenged ~ otherwise I made as posted including using the blueberries. A delicious recipe ~ thanks for posting! Made for PAC Fall 2008.
This is utterly delicious. I thought it would be too tart without more sugar...but it wasn't! The crust is simply outstanding. I am delighted I tried this!