Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Light and very tasty! These cookies were made by my mother, and much loved by my family. You can either make them with green food coloring, or you can put the meringue mixture in a pastry bag that you have put three lines of red food coloring in, and pipe them onto the cookie sheet, and then they look like little peppermints (I leave out the chips when doing this).
- 2 egg whites
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3 drops green food coloring
- 5 ounces chocolate chips, mint flavored preferably
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Beat egg whites in a glass bowl until stiff.
- Gradually add sugar, salt, cream of tartar, peppermint extract and food color.
- Fold in chips.
- Drop on buttered cookie sheet.
- Turn oven off, and leave in two hours or overnight.
Of all the recipes for this kind of cookie I've found online, this turned out the closest to the ones my Grandma used to make. Thanks so much!