Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
The mini version of a typical German kuchen. A quick and simple recipe that tastes even better the next day when flavors had time to blend. - Instead of baking 3 or 4 cupcakes for the two of us, I bought a miniature bundt cake form, holding 2 cups of batter. I like to chop good quality chocolate with a knife making uneven-sized chips better than ready made chips for the difference in flavor and texture. Nice with a cup of tea or coffee.
- 3⁄4 cup cake flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons cake flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate square (1 square)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons powdered sugar
- NOTE: If you want to bake the cake as cupcakes, bake at 375F for 20-25 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease form.
- Mix cake flour and baking powder in a small bowl. If not using chocolate chips, chop chocolate with a large knife into 1/8 inch pieces (average).
- Cream butter and sugar and salt until well blended. Add egg and vanilla and beat until batter is light in color and increased in volume.
- Add flour and milk and mix until well blended, but don't overbeat. Mix in chocolate chips. Fill form with batter, level top and bake in the middle of the oven for 30-35 minutes, until a wooden skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove cake from oven and let cool for 5 minutes in the form before taking it out. Cool completely and serve at once, or better, wrap tightly in foil and serve the next day. Flavors will have blended then.
- With a sieve dust powdered sugar on top of cake before serving. Freezes well.
I made this recipe twice and both times I found the cakes to be dry.
These are MINI! But not in Flavor! :) These hit the spot to lift my spirits! Mine made 2 mini cakes which are twice the size of cupcakes. As I write this I wish I had one, But! To my dismay they are gone,:( So I suggest to make twice the amount!And about freezing these It will never happen!!!!! They`ll disappear before you can wrap them!