A pie in a cookie sheet! Excellent company or pot luck recipe for mincemeat lovers everywhere. My family loves these squares at Thanksgiving and Christmas but they are good any time of the year. Good with a scoop of ice cream and some butterscotch sauce on top if you dare. Or a dollop of whipped cream is nice too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup lard
- 1 egg yolk, reserve the egg white for the top
- 1/2 cup milk, enough to make 1/2 cup
- 3 cups mincemeat
- 1 -2 tablespoon butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 egg white, for top crust
GLAZE AFTER BAKING(optional)
- 2Sift flour, sugar and salt into a large bowl.
- 3Cut in lard with a pastry blender until it resembles coarse meal.
- 4Put egg yolk in measuring cup, add milk to make 1/2 cup.
- 5Add egg mixture to bowl; stir until dough clings together and forms a ball.
- 6Roll out half the dough on a floured surface to a 15" x 11" rectangle; transfer to a cookie sheet.
- 7Note: You can make a parchment paper or wax paper pattern measuring 15” x 11”. Roll out pastry directly onto the paper for easy transfer to baking sheet.
- 9Spread mincemeat filling evenly over dough to within 3/4 inch of edges.
- 10Dot the top of the mincemeat with the bits of butter.
- 11FINAL ASSEMBLY:.
- 12Roll out remaining half of dough; cut vents.
- 13Moisten edges of bottom pastry with cool water using a pastry brush or your fingers. Cover filling with the top pastry, sealing edges.
- 14Pinch edges together and crimp.
- 16Beat egg white until stiff; spread on top crust.
- 17Bake in preheated 400 degree Fahrenheit oven for 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove to wire rack.
- 18GLAZE (optional):.
- 19Combine icing sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl.
- 20Drizzle over warm pastry.
- 21Cool slightly before cutting into squares to serve.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mincemeat Squares
Serving Size: 1 (73 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 321.2
- Calories from Fat 103
- Total Fat 11.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 21.5 mg
- Sodium 142.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 29.8 g
- Protein 2.3 g