Mexican Coffee Brownies Recipe from Zuppas, which is a catering company in Neenah... about 45 minutes from Green Bay. Makes one 8x8 inch pan.
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 3⁄4 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly butter or coat a 8 x 8 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray .
- Whisk wet ingredients in a medium bowl until well blended.
- Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add the wet ingredients all at once and stir to combine.
- Pour into greased baking pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool for 10 minutes and cut into squares.
The only problem I had was cooking them -- I had to cook them about 20 minutes past the 30 minute time. But they were very good and worth the wait (er - weight?)! I think I will add more cayenne next time to make them a little spicier. Oh, and I didn't have any instant coffee, so I didn't use that. Yu-m-m-m-m-m! I have ow made these four times. I skip the coffee and add between 1/2 to 1 tsp of cayenne, depending on how spicy you want them.
Oooooo....these are so good! Love all the subtle flavor combinations. I was out of ground cloves so I substituted all spice. They ended up baking about 40 mins. and following your directions took them out of the oven when the toothpick came out clean. They were perfect! Next time I'll use a 1/2 t. of salt and up the cayenne to maybe a 1/2 t.. Thanks so much for sharing this delicious recipe. I'll be making these again.
I like the flavor that the spices give the brownies. We ate them hot out of the oven. Cut into 9 squares. Made as written. Next time I will reduce salt to 1/2 teaspoon because I found them too salty. May increase cinnamon to 1 1/2 teaspoons. Had to bake about 35 minutes.