The addition of cornstarch to these cookies really makes them melt in your mouth! The fact that they are egg-free makes them good for those allergic to eggs, and since the cookies are little, it is easy to eat a bunch - unfortunately... :) These are a nice addition to a summer BBQ, a baby shower, or any get-together. These can be made with any citrus fruit, but we like lemon the best!
- Heat the oven to 350°F
- In large bowl, beat butter and 1 cup powdered sugar with electric mixer on medium speed. Stir in flour, cornstarch, lemon zest and vanilla until well blended.
- Shape dough into 3/4-inch balls and place about 1 1/2 inches apart on a parchment-lined cookie sheet and flatten a little.
- Bake 9 to 11 minutes, or until edges are light golden brown. Remove carefully from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely.
- Whisk together 1 cup powdered sugar, lemon juice, and zest in a small bowl. Stir in additional juice if necessary, or powdered sugar to thicken.
- Dip the tops of the cooled cookies in icing and place on the parchment paper that you baked the cookies on, to harden.