This is a recipe given to me years ago by my Mother-in-law. A very sweet, dense cake my husband grew up with and to this day still requests.
For the cake
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour, combined with the following
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup cooked prune, chopped
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup nuts
For the Icing
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon Karo light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- For the cake: Blend sugar, oil and eggs.
- Add dry ingredients altering with the milk.
- Add vanilla, nuts and prunes.
- Bake in a 13x9x2" pan at 300 degrees for 45-60 minutes.
- While hot and still in pan pour icing over the cake.
- For the icing: Mix all ingredients in saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and pour over cake.
- Use fork to pierce holes in cake to absorb icing.