Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe won Food Network magazines first 'secret-ingredient recipe contest'. The secret ingredient was Maple Syrup. Kara Sow created this delicious winner!
- 236.59 ml all-purpose flour
- 236.59 ml cake flour
- 110.56 g box vanilla instant pudding mix
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 14.79 ml potato starch
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 4.92 ml nutmeg, freshly grated
- 2.46 ml salt
- 118.29 ml unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 177.44 ml packed light brown sugar
- 177.44 ml granulated sugar
- 7.39 ml vanilla extract
- 4 large egg whites, room temperature
- 59.14 ml maple syrup
- 118.29 ml half-and-half, at room temperature
- 118.29 ml bacon, chopped and cooked
- 226.79 g package cream cheese, at room temperature
- 29.58 ml unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 473.18 ml sifted confectioners' sugar
- 59.14 ml maple syrup
- 9.85 ml ground cinnamon
- 3 slice bacon, cooked and chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Place paper liners in a 12-cup muffin tin.
- Prepare the cupcakes:
- Combine the flours, pudding mix, baking powder, potato starch, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a bowl with a whisk.
- In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugars with a mixer on low speed until combined, 6 to 8 minutes. Gradually mix in the vanilla and egg whites. Scrape down the sides of the bowl; continue mixing until light and fluffy.Add the flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with the maple syrup and half-and-half. mixing after each addition and ending with flour.Mix until the ingredients are just combined; do not overmix. Fold in the bacon.
- Pour the batter into the prepared muffin tin, filling each cup about three-quarters of the way. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 40 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, prepare the frosting:.
- Beat the cream cheese and butter with a mixer on medium speed until creamy. Add the confectioners sugar, maple syrup and cinnamon; beat until combined. Spread on the cooled cupcakes; top with chopped bacon, if desired.
These cupcakes get a full five stars from my family, but there are some errors in this copy of the recipe. On Food Network's website, the recipe calls for 1/4 cup of granulated and 1/4 cup of brown sugar, not 3/4 of each like this copy states. Also, the 1/2 cup of chopped bacon that goes in the cupcake batter comes out to be 5 strips. I will make these again, but this time I will use the 1/4 cup of the sugars because I think they will be even better. Awesome recipe!
A friend at work found this recipe and begged me to make them for him. They turned out great. Just the right amount of salty sweet. Don't let the combination of flavors scare you.